History of Central School
Early education in Glencoe looked very different than the school resources we have today.
1850: Glencoe students attended classes in a log cabin
1869: Students attended in a one-room school house located near Greenbay Road
1873: A new school was built on Grove Street between Hazel and Hawthorn, then it was destroyed by a fire in 1874
The Central School we know today was designed in the Colonial Revival style by architects Armstrong, Furst, and Tilton in 1929. Since that time there have been several renovations and additions to house the 5th through 8th grade students in our district.